The Big 7!
The Big 7? More like The EPIC 7!
Did you know that South Africa is the only country in the world that is home to The Big 7…but what is it?
The Big 7 consists of the Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Elephant, Buffalo, Southern Right Whale and Great White Shark!
The team at HQ have decided to list them in order of just how epic we think they are, along with plenty of random facts about each of these beautiful creatures and exactly where you can find them in South Africa!
Planning on going to Camp this year? Ensure you leave plenty of time to hunt these guys down during your after Camp travel and below is why!
7). Leopard. These beautiful animals are built for hunting, mainly found in Sub-Saharan Africa. If you have seen Planet Earth recently then we are sure you have seen how incredibly fast these big cats are. When in South Africa, you can check these out at the Shamwari Game Reserve, which is in Port Elizabeth right by Camp!
6) Buffalo. African Buffalos sometimes live in herds of up to one thousand! Not that is an epic posse! Imagine seeing that in the distance coming towards you? If you fancy seeing some buffalos up close, we recommend checking out Kragga Kamma Game Park, again based in Port Elizabeth (yay!) so this can always be an option for a weekend during Camp!
5) Rhino. There are 5 types of rhinos in the world, 3 from Asia and 2 from Africa. They have been around for over 50 million years, meaning they have definitely experienced a few New Year’s Eve’s in their time! Did you know that a Rhino can stay pregnant for up to 16 months?! The Rhinos can also be seen at the Kragga Kamma Game Park, meaning you don’t have to travel too far to see these special animals up close.
4) Lion. Random fact, we bet you didn’t know that lions actually rest for up to 20 hours a day! Isn’t it funny, they are so fast at running even though they spend so much time resting? These can be found at the Seaview Lion Park in Port Elizabeth, meaning that you can go and see the animals during one of your weekends off at Camp! Why not get together as a group, rent a bus and go around together seeing both the lions and the baby cubs?
3) Elephant. Elephants are incredibly sacred in Africa as there are now only two types of elephants left in the world, African and Asian. African elephants are actually the largest mammal on the planet, and although you may not find anything bigger, we also feel that you will not find anything more sweet. Elephants are known for showing their sense of humor, compassion, playfulness and awareness. Get yourself to Schotia Safaris Game Reserve and see these adorable creatures.
2) Southern Right Whale. They got their name from being the ’right’ whale to hunt as they are slow moving, swim close to the shore and are very inquisitive of boats, making them easy to approach. You can go whale watching in South Africa with Raggy Charters (again in PE). Not only do they offer whale watching experiences but you can also see dolphins and penguins whilst on a cruise boat! They are so good they also have charities and programmes set up to help save the penguins that are endangered in South Africa.
And now, at number 1, the most epic of them all…
- Great White Shark. Of course it was going to be the most epic! South Africa is the first country to introduce Great White Shark conservation and to declare them as a protected species. If you are an adrenaline junky then this is the ultimate experience. There’s nothing like getting into your wetsuit and climbing into the ocean with these magnificent predators (Don’t worry, you’re completely safe inside a cage!) To see them hunt and glide through the ocean is truly breath taking.
Still don’t believe that Camp South Africa should be on your bucket list for 2017?
See you there
The CSA Team x